Monday, July 03, 2006

Rice Lake 2006

Ahh, vacation. How I needed you.

There's nothing like a week of doing nothing to recharge your batteries. I guess I shouldn't say we did nothing. We went to the chocolate factory...we went boating a lot...we imbibed the occasional adult beverage. Though the real star of the week was the cabin itself, which I started calling "Slanty" after seeing it from the outside. When I post pictures you'll understand.

We also played games...poker, asshole, this cool dvd game where you shout out answers to questions about music or tv. We also tried the "Dark Side of Oz" thing where you sync up Dark Side of the Moon to The Wizard of Oz. I always figured that this was just some stoner myth or something, but I must say there are some really strange coincidences between the music and the movie. I still think it's only a coincidence, but it's still worth doing. The best part was when we were outside the next morning and the guys from the cabin next door said to us "Next time you guys jam to Floyd, crank that shit up!".

It was a weekend without incident, except for the drive home when some degenerate decided to almost kill Jay and I. Yes, it's time to rant about driving, but I feel I'm justified.
We're driving along in moderately heavy traffic having just come through Toronto. I'm clicking along in the far left lane at 120, just going with the flow of traffic. I check my rear view mirror and see this prick in a silver 300M come flying toward me going probably 135. He gets so close to my rear end that I can't even see his headlights or the grill on the front of his car. There's traffic to my right so I can't get out of his way, so I figured I'd try and get him to back off a little bit by dropping down to 115 hoping he'd get the message (not by hitting the brakes, just by slowly letting up on the gas - had I even tapped the brakes he would have hit me which is why I wanted him to back off). I slow down, and he does too but he still stays as close as he was. Once there was an opening to my right I was about to get out of his way when he pulls into it (without signalling), passes me on the right, and pulls back into my lane (again without signalling) and comes so close to my front bumper that I actually cringed and braced myself for an accident. Right as he gets in my lane, before I'd had a chance to get some distance between us, he SLAMS ON HIS BRAKES (with no one in front of him) then floors it and takes off. Man, I've never been so pissed at another driver. Jay and I were yelling and screaming things at him, I damn near punched the steering wheel, and Jay put down his window and flipped the guy off.

He got a little bit ahead of us and started riding the next guy's tail and had to keep hitting the brakes because he refused to slow down. Watching this, I actually screamed "I hope your ________ brakes fail", and I'm not one to swear very often. Man, I'm pissed off again just thinking about it.

Luckily I have good memories of the vacation itself to make me happy again. Pictures to follow tomorrow.

5 comments:

ElaineMI said...

Wow...we have drivers just like that here in the States. Bet it's a universal problem.

Being that I've been on the autobohn (not sure the correct spelling, so I'm winging it here) in Germany where speeds are normally 100 (mph). If you get rear-ended on it, it's YOUR fault for not going fast enough. Maybe he was a misplaced German that forgot where he was at.

I was traveling the parkway, not far from where I live, doing a nice comfortable 40 (mph)and is the speed limit, when this (insert your favorite swear word here) jerk was on my bumper. Thought he was going to ram me, starts honking his horn and wants ME to move over. This is a 2 lane road. He eventually passes me, flipping me off...to which I just laughed and pointed at him. Pissed him off big time, but, he was in such a hurry, he soon left me behind. Fine with me. Personally, I was hoping that a tree was in his windshield in the very near future.

Glad you had a good vacation. Don't let the (insert favorite swear word here) jerks ruin it for you. The world is full of them.

Was hoping to see you on the 8th but we won't be able to come over. We're leaving to go on vacation the next day and we're unable to make it. Tell Sara and Scott we'll see them at the wedding and looking forward to it.

James said...

Yeah, I heard when I got back that you guys weren't coming. I'll be sure to pass on the message (if they don't read it here).

The jerk on the road by no means affected my enjoyment of the vacation, it was just a 20 minute experience I felt the need to rant about (who'da thunk it?).

Enjoy your vacation.

James said...

Oh, and just for clarification, the limit on the road is 100, so I was already going 20 km/h over the limit :)

Sara and Scott said...

Hey Elaine,

Sorry to hear you and Bill can't make it.

Have a great holiday though.

ElaineMI said...

Sara: I wish we could. I was looking forward to seeing you both and everybody else. I love a party. Unfortunately, we'll be packing our boat and camping stuff so we can get out early the next day. We'll definately see you at the wedding. Now, just how to figure out on telling my boss I'll be gone for 2 weeks (Mike joined the Marines and will be leaving the 18th. We're having a going away party for him the 9th. Man, am I long winded. Sorry about that. It's an old family tradition. (haha)