Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Rice Lake 2006 - In Pictures

Let's set the tone early with the first thing we did after unpacking the cars and going grocery shopping. The beer fridge:


And the vodka-melon. Mmmm....vodka-melon....



This is when I named the cabin "Slanty":







Oh captain, my captain...where are we?



Random boat scenery:



Including the road to nowhere:



And the gazebo where we scared all the fisherman away the last night we were there:



More boat scenery:



Our pontoon boat, with one improvement. Arrrr!





This is by far the greatest town name of all time. So much so that I had to take a picture, no one would have believed me otherwise. Just past this town was a fluorescent yellow sign that said "CAUTION. HIGH ACCIDENT INTERSECTION." I took a picture, but it didn't turn out well enough to read the text. Those are the types of signs that make you feel safe.



All over the inside of the cabin people had carved their names and the year they stayed, so we continued the tradition by carving near where we slept:



And near where we sat. The arrow pointing to my chair underneath was a hit:



And the beer watched my chair while I was off carving up the walls:



I was trying to take a picture with my carving, when Steph decided to interfere. It's just as well, you can't see the carving anyway.



We also made one other very important carving:



Here are some pictures of Slanty from the inside, including our beautiful sleeping quarters:



Along with a prime example of why the square was invented, and why it should be used when constructing walls:



And window frames:



Exposed wiring always makes you feel safe, especially when it's in the ceiling of your room. Although to be fair, the entire ceiling had exposed wiring.



The night we scared the fishermen away from the gazebo. I guess this was Jay's birthday present for Matt:



Note, I'm not squinting because I'd been drinking, but because I'd been in about 20 pictures that night and the flash had destroyed my eyeballs. Matt, on the other hand, was trashed :)



This picture still gives me nightmares:



And you have to end with a nice group shot. Well, it would have been nice had the timer worked and Jay had been able to get into the picture, and if Matt wasn't staring at the ceiling, and if Steph wasn't staring out the window.



Good times.

10 comments:

Zutroy said...

Looks like a I missed a good week to write exams :(

James said...

Did you fail any? :)

Zutroy said...

No, but apparently I did a lot worse in Databases than I thought I did, and a lot better in Web Systems. Honestly, I think they swapped grades on me.

James said...

I found that everything sort of came together for me on the databases exams. In the midterms I did fine with the calculus, sql, and normalization, but I bombed the first midterm which was all relational algebra. I got something like 14% on that one.

How did your web page turn out?

Heather said...

Dude I grew up like 20 minutes from there! I think my dad even taught at Plainville P.S. and my aunt and uncle live in Hastings along the river. Well, they just moved, but they used to! I hope there wasn't a swimming ban on while you were there- too many cottages often mean you can't swim in the water.

James said...

Nope, no swimming ban. We didn't really get into the water much beyond the boat. One guy jumped in and got his feet all cut up from the seaweed. He was even less happy when he came out and realized we had ran off with his clothing.

Plainville P.S. was right where the "High Accident Intersection" sign was, we drove by it whenever we went into town (Cobourg).

Hastings is cool too, it's where we did our shopping the first two years we went to Rice Lake since we were on the other end of the lake and closer to Hastings than Cobourg. We actually drove through Hastings (unintentionally) this time to get to the chocolate factory in Campbellford.

It's a really nice area of the province. It's just populated enough that you feel like part of civilization, but it's still got the rural vibe to it. Cobourg was actually really cool too, the people were really nice. I went to Staples to get some batteries and asked the clerk where the liquor store was. As she started drawing me a map, another clerk who was just getting off work offered to drive there on her way home and had me follow her. That would never happen in Windsor :)

Heather said...

You missed the best part of campbellford - the Church Key Brewing Co. They make wicked good beer.

My parents live a 3 minute walk behind Staples in Cobourg, you likely passed the church I'm getting married in on the way back out to hwy 45, and the reception at the town hall directly in front of the liquor store.

James said...

The brewing company is definately something to add to the list for the next time I head up there. If it's anything close to the stuff you can get from the Walkerville brewery in Windsor, it'd be worth the trip.

Thanks for the tip Heather.

Heather said...

Hah not to be even more annoying and post ANOTHER entry on the SAME post but Church Key is a gajillion times better than walkerville. They have a stout called "holy smoke" where they smoke the hopps, and I'd also recommend their Northumberland Ale. But, I can always fill you in at the wedding- apparently we're walking in together?

James said...

Yep, that's what I've been told.

Oh, and beer recommendations should never be considered a waste of time :)