Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Technical Mumbo-Jumbo

I'm working on my thesis proposal, and I just wrote one of the most convoluted paragraphs I've ever come up with:

The most commonly accepted, cross-domain definition of ontology seems to be “a specification of a conceptualization”. Many different definitions of the term ontology exist, and they are generally tailored to the domain in which the term is being used. This multiplicity in definitions is the exact problem that ontologies are being used to solve in many cross-domain applications. In fact, one could argue that the above definition of ontology is itself an ontology for the ontology field. It is a specification (in this case, a definition) of a conceptualization (in this case, the concept of ontology).
Basically, I just defined a term in terms of its own definition, and used it as an example of the definition as the same time. I rule!

3 comments:

Medieval said...

Heh. :)

Thesis (plural), by definition, require a lot of assumptions -- that the reader has a decent knowledge of the field. I shouldn't have to detail Ohm's Law in my thesis, for example ;)

However, using tons of technical mumbo jumbo just for the sake of it, is well, humorous. However, some people make their entire thesis read like that, on purpose. They figure using big words makes them sound smart. I beg to differ; most papers I read use techincal bullcrap for no good reason at all.

James said...

Yeah, it was basically a first cut, and it's what my fingers typed as I was thinking about it. I couldn't agree more on the excess technical-speak just for the hell of it. I'm sure we've both read more of it in the last six months than we'd care to in a lifetime.

As for my paragraph, it's not that I shouldn't say what I said, I just need to clarify and make it more sensible. The point of the paragraph is to orient people who don't know what ontology is, and my guess is that what's written here doesn't accomplish that.

Anonymous said...

I feel the information you posted is a great resource and sufficient to understand the entire concept.The way you expressed is also amazing.Thanks for sharing.
domain and hosting services companies