Friday, February 24, 2006

IEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between an "Electronics Engineer" and an "Electrical Engineer". The reason? I referenced the IEEE in my thesis proposal, and found out it stood for the "Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers".

Holy redundancy Batman!

Not that there aren't stupid differences in the Earth Sciences either. We have people who are "Hydrographers" and people who are "Hydrologists", and they would likely fight to the death to defend the differences between them...yet both fields of research can be summarized as "Water flows downhill".

2 comments:

Medieval said...

Well...

I think they called it that so that way one could say "IEEEEEEEEE".
The IEE just doesn't look right, does it?

Anyways, back when they decided that name ages ago, there was a clear distinction between electrical and electronic engineers.

electric=power genereration, R,L,C etc, passive and electromechanical devices.

electronic=controlling the flow of electrons (vacuum tubes, transistors, diodes).

Your right though, the difference is subtle. :)

James said...

I figured there had to be some sort of difference, it wouldn't have made sense otherwise. With my example, Hydrology is the study of the movement and distribution of water, and Hydrography is essentially measuring the physical characteristics of water and nearby land. So I see where it's coming from.

Do people actually call it "IEEEEE"? I've always said "I-triple-E". The other way is more fun though.