Thursday, August 03, 2006

I Love Double Standards

I was just listening to the radio, and there was a commercial talking about what to do to make things easier when travelling at the airport this summer. They were going through things like not bringing knives and things like that, which is good info.

Then he said, "and remember, always be polite".


















Let me regale of a story from my recent trip to Quebec. We're on our way back from Quebec, arrive at Metro, and go to clear customs so we can get into the U.S. In the customs area, there are signs with big arrows leading to two different lanes, one for Americans, and one for visitors. We, not being American, go into the visitors line. Being a flight from Canada, it's about a 50/50 split of people being visitors and American. There are 5 lanes open for Americans, and 2 lanes open for visitors, but that's beside the point. We're standing in our nice long visitors line, when this customs lady (and I use that term loosely) bellows out "You at the back of the line, over here!". She was telling us that she wanted us to come over to the American lines to make things move faster, but the way she said it, it was like "Why the hell did you go to that line???". Hey dingus, that's what the sign said, don't yell at me because I did what you said.

You all have guns, so I'm going to do whatever the hell the signs say. It's not like we went in the wrong line, we went where we were supposed to. You get what you give folks. I'm curtious to these people because they have a tough job (although this lady's only job seemed to be to yell at the people in the "wrong line"). But if you yell at people who haven't done anything wrong, you should be quite willing to get a snarky response. "Always be polite" my ass.

No comments: