Sunday, October 02, 2005

Chris Cornell, Canadian Rock

I'm listening to the new Audioslave album right now (it was part of my shopping spree in Toronto, but I didn't get to it before the new OLP album came out), and I have to say, Chris Cornell might be the best rock singer ever. There is no note he can't hit. He can sing pure rock or power ballads. Just spectacular.

Another music note, what is it about Canadian rock that makes it stand out? Bands like 54-40, The Hip, The Odds, The Trews, etc. all have a certain sound to them that makes it "Canadian" rock. I can't put my finger on it, but it's there. Canadian rock tends to have a cleaner, more stripped down sound, but I don't think that's all there is to it. Am I the only one that thinks like this? When you hear a band like The Trews or Sloan, you just know that it's Canadian music, even if you don't know the band.

1 comment:

Medieval said...

I definately think that Canada has a very high % per capita of great artists, certainly more than the US.

Of course, I can't prove that per se :)