Sunday, March 06, 2005

What would we do...

if computers ceased to exist.

You may be thinking "What a strange question". But the reason I ask is due to an experience I had at work today. For those that don't know I work in a restaurant, and all the orders are punched in on computers and are automatically printed up for the cooks. Today, the computers went down. Now, notwithstanding the fact that the only way to fix them was to call someone from head office in London, the kitchen became completely frantic.

The servers had to write the orders down by hand and give them to the cooks, they had to calculate bills and prices by themselves on a calculator, and it just seemed like a madhouse even though it was only slightly busier than your average Sunday day shift.

My point is that we've come to rely and depend on computers, and all in all it's a good thing, but it's still kinda funny to see what happens when people are forced to think for themselves.

3 comments:

James said...

This is the kind of stuff I've been pondering on my rare off hours. I think I'm slowly turning into an insane philosopher.

Zutroy said...

What's wrong with Matt chub is delicious. You could eve make in it little pork chop shapes.

Medieval said...

I'd know the difference... I would!