Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Do not use while sleeping...and other randomness

That is what it says on the warning label on my new electric razor. Do not use while sleeping.

And the scary thing is that the reason it's on there is probably because someone tried it, hurt themselves, sued the company, and won.

Now they have to put stupid warning labels on everything to save people from their own stupidity.

I've been convinced for a long time that common sense no longer exists, and this is just more proof.

------------------------------

I've recently learned that "luxuriating" is acutally a word. I heard it on the news during a promo for one of these hidden camera things where there were teachers "luxuriating" at fancy hotels for meetings and laughed, thinking to myself, "that can't be a word". But, I looked it up and was proven wrong. My apologies to Super Action Authority News Channel 7.

------------------------------

On the same topic of words, I've always thought that "beaching" should be a word. That way if you spend a day at the beach and someone asks you "What did you do yesterday?", you can respond "I went beaching." It sounds like it should be a word.

------------------------------

Only a few weeks left until I can go the bar and not reek of cigarette smoke when I get home! I do find it funny that in the commercials advertising it here in Windsor that the head of one of the bingos is on there talking about how "it won't change anything", yet this same guy was all over the news when the public smoking ban was announced talking about how it's going to destroy bingos and hurt charities. I guess everyone has their price.

------------------------------

Finally, in the greatest baseball game promotion ever, a minor league baseball team in the States is holding "Salute to Frivolous Lawsuit Night". Some of the items include:
  • The first 137 women 18 and over will receive lukewarm coffee so they will not burn themselves
  • The first 137 kids will be given a beach ball with a warning not to ingest

  • Linkage

    It sure beats "bat day" at Tiger Stadium. There was a good idea. I don't think me ears ever recovered from the 9 innings straight of bats banging concrete floors. Old Tiger Stadium was the best. Who wouldn't enjoy a day full of trough urinals, 5 dollar water (it's probably 10 now), concession people walking around yelling unintelligable things like "HADOW!" (which apparantly meant "Hot Dogs"), and ushers expecting a tip for showing us to our seats even though we had just walked through a gate with a big sign saying NOT TO TIP.

    6 comments:

    ElaineMI said...

    I thought beaching was something that whales and/or dolphins/porpoises did? I'm not sure I'd tell 'ANYBODY' that I went "beaching". I wouldn't want them to call me Shamu or Willie. Thank you very much

    James said...

    Hmm, I forgot about that use of the term. I think "beaching" encompasses all of the merriment of sunbathing, swimming, or whatever else you choose to do at the beach. I think as long as it was always said as "going beaching" or "I went beaching", I think it would be okay.

    Of course, it may just be easier to say "I went to the beach", but what's the fun in that? :)

    Sara and Scott said...

    I agree with Elaine... beaching to me was something that whales always did...

    Scott McCarthy said...

    LMAO "Hadow!", I totally forgot about bat day at old tiger stadium. Do you remember the height posters we got?

    James said...

    Heh, yeah. I think they were Cecil Fielder posters, but I can't remember.

    The local sports radio stations were having some fun with the Pudge Rodriguez height posters that they were giving away a couple weeks ago. They kept saying that the kids would outgrow it by the time they were 10 (since Pudge is like 5'10").

    It was a cool place to watch a game, and there was a ton of history there. But it wasn't exactly the nicest all the time. I remember that Grandpa Percy was at bat day with us, and he wasn't too impressed. I remember going to another game with him once where they wouldn't let us use the handicap elevator to get to our second deck seats. By the time we got to the top of the ramp to get there he was pretty tired. I sent the people at the stadium a few letters/e-mails but I never got a response.

    James said...

    That should have been like 5'6" for Pudge.

    Forgot to mention, at that game with Grandpa Percy I got to see Ken Griffey make one of the greatest catches ever leaping at the fence in centerfield. Most "top 10" lists have that catch on it as one of the best of all time. Just thought I'd point that out. :)