Monday, January 23, 2006

Cool Music Thing

So I'm listening to some OLP at school, and suddenly half of the audio goes out on my headphones. I'm sure we've all had that happen before. But I noticed that what had gone out was Raine's voice, and what remained was everything else. And it's actually a neat way to listen to the song. I just listened to Apology which is a beautiful song to begin with, but this time with no words. The guitar work sounds even better without the voice. You also get to hear the vocal harmony parts, but they're on their own which sounds very cool.

This would also be a cool way to learn the guitar parts to songs since the guitar is the dominant thing you hear.

Just thought I'd share.

3 comments:

Zutroy said...

Welcome to stereo channels. :P

Honestly, this won't happen with every song on your computer - it depends on how the audio file was encoded. If it's a mono track you're going to get equal noise from the left and right regardless. But yeah sometimes dropping one side can lead to a more interesting version of a song, helping you to notice things that weren't there before.

Sara and Scott said...

NICE!!! I can't think of a better way to listen to OLP other than without that annoying guy's voice ruining the songs.

James said...

I know John, but usually when that happens it's not that clear cut. It provided an interesting take on the songs.

Oh, and Sara, I'm not dignifying that with a response :)