Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Here's what'll happen

The NHL offered $42.5 mill, the PA responds with $49 mill. Sometime during the night or early tomorrow morning the NHL will reject the PAs proposal, the PA will come back with another offere which will be rejected, but then tomorrow's press conference will be delayed till about 5 pm, where they'll anounce a deal in the neighbourhood of $45.5 mill. Take it to the bank.

They're only $6.5 million dollars apart now, and if they can't bridge that gap then Gary and Bob both deserve to be fired.

Onto other business, my thesis project is moving along nicely. The pre-development phase is taking longer than I thought. I kinda figured I'd be programming by now, but I've still got over 6 months to get it done. No problem...right?

2 comments:

Medieval said...

Regarding the NHL: it seems to me a 42 MILLION cap is pretty darn big, then again, I guess I can't compare. I haven't bought 10 mansions and a few islands of my own, warranting needing the extra 7M :)

Oh, and it makes sense you wouldn't be programming yet, unless your project was mostly about pure coding, with specs already defined.

But it seems to me you are developing what this program needs to do. That'll probably take more time overall then the programming.

Just my 2 cents.

James said...

The players have had it so good the past ten years and they just don't want to give it up. Under the old system, they got automatic raises in the order of 20% at the end of every contract until they were 31, and if the team didn't give it to them they could become a free agent. The numbers are simple, compare it to the NFL. The NFL (by far the most successful sports league in North America) has a salary cap in the area of $80 million dollars, and their rosters are twice the size. So a $42 million dollar cap for an NHL roster seems perfectly in line. Then you figure in that the NFL's revenues are 2 to 3 times that of the NHL's, so they actually have the money to spend $80 million dollars.

The scary thing is, right now probably 20 out of the 30 NHL clubs aren't even spending the 42 million right now. Hell probably 5 or 6 teams aren't even spending $30 million.

Wait until the league comes back with their next offer, which will be back to the $30-35 million range for a cap. That $42 won't look so bad then.