Wednesday, December 07, 2005

911 for Emergencies Only

Link

My dad told me about this last night and I found the story online today. Basically, the OPP is getting annoyed with all the people calling 911 for non-emergencies.

I think you should be fined for making calls like that. I'm sure there are some things that are in a grey area, but not these:

Calls asking for directions from Kitchener to Toronto, conditions for ice fishing, and road conditions a month away don't qualify.

Police say 90 per cent of 911 calls are not emergencies.
Personally, I've called 911 once for an incident at Shell, and that's it.

5 comments:

James said...

That's what the holidays are all about Elaine. Family, celebration, and getting annoyed by your fellow man.

This is why we should all start celebrating Festivus.

Can we start with the Airing of Grievances?

Medieval said...

Yeah, unfortunately, a lot of people in the world are totally void of any "common sense" (I use that word with "" because it truly doesn't exist :)).

Now, I'm a bit bookish myself, and my common sense is fairly low; however, I've never called 911 for any other reason than an emergency ;)

Sara and Scott said...

Meh.. some people are stupid.

Rather than be annoyed by them, life is far more fun if you just laugh and feel bad for them. Seriously, if I didn't have the braincells to realize that directions from Kitchener was not an emergency... I'd hope people felt bad for me.

Personally I heard that story on the radio and laughed my ass off that someone actually called 911 "Just to see if it worked". I mean, what, was she drunk??

Might as well be happy and laugh at the stupidity of the world really, rather than being angry about it. Life is too short to get hung up on stuff like that.

James said...

Well said Sara. It does have an element of humour no doubt. But can't I laugh at stupidity and punish them at the same time...{insert evil laugh here}

Sara and Scott said...

The way I see it, being doomed to an eternity of being stupid is sometimes punishment enough.